penofhearts

Live, Learn and Grow

Yesterday, when I was teaching my son, I found this motivational poem in his book How the Little Kite Learned to Fly by Katherine Pyle. This poem is worth sharing.

“I never can do it,” the little kite said,

As he looked at the others high over his head;

“I know I should fall if I tried to fly.”

“Try,” said the big kite; “only try!

Or I fear you never will learn at all.”

But the little kite said : “I’m afraid I’ll fall.”

The big kite nodded : “Ah, well, good-bye;

“I am off.” And he rose toward the tranquil sky.

Then the little kite’s paper stirred at the sight.

And trembling he shook himself free for flight.

First whirling and frightened, then braver grown,

Up, up, he rose through the air alone,

Till the big kite looking down could see

The little one rising steadily.

Then how the little kite thrilled with pride,

As he sailed with the big kite side by side.

While far below he could see the ground,

And the boys like small spots moving round.

They rested high in the quiet air,

And only the birds and clouds were there.

“Oh, how happy I am,’.’ the little kite cried;

“And all because I was brave and tried.”

Katherine Pyle

So, what we learn from this little kite? We learned that everything looks impossible to be done, when we do it for the first time. Whatever be the circumstances, we should never stop trying. We might fail several times but one day we will achieve our goal.

Try, try, until you succeed should be the notion. Trying should never be stopped. A person who tries despite failing, is the one who soars high in his life.

Like this little kite, that first thought, it cannot fly but being motivated by the big kite and having the courage to try, it tries to fly and it flies up in the sky, leaving behind its fear to fall. At last the little kite is happy as it was able to combat its fear and flies happily in the sky.

Have you read this poem before? What do you think about this poem? Please share your comments below. I would be happy to hear your views. Thank you so much for stopping by and reading this post.

Namrata 😊.

15 thoughts on “An Inspiring Poem: How the Little Kite Learned to Fly by Katherine Pyle

1. Era says:

yes, we should try and try again
    Thank you man,for sharing such a beautiful poem ☺😊

Liked by 1 person

1. You’re welcome. Happy to know that you liked the poem.

1. Era says:

Absolutely, 😊😊

Liked by 1 person

2. swati anand says:

Very encouraging poem..👌👍

Liked by 1 person

3. Saranya Ganesh says:

Very nice poem namratha
    Gud one for kids

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you so much dear…..

4. JanBeek says:

I had not heard this poem before, but I like it! It reminds me of the poetic children’s books by Bill Peet. Do you know his works? They all have a wonderful, inspiring motive, just as this kite poem does. He was an artist who helped Walt Disney create the characters for movies like “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.” After working a life-time for Disney, he began writing books on his own. I think he as in his 50s when he published his first book … and he went on to publish more than 100 children’s picture books before he died of throat cancer. I was privileged to meet Bill Peet in person back in the 70s.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you giving me this information. Actually I found this poem in my 3rd grader book. I liked the poem and thus I shared. I wasn’t aware of Bill Peet but as you talk about him here, I now know him. 😊

Liked by 1 person

1. JanBeek says:

Check out his books. I especially recommend “The Wingdingdilly”

Liked by 1 person