How do you feel when someone praises you about your good work or your accomplishments? Great!!!! Isn’t it.
Everyone likes to be praised. A praise acts as an energy booster.
I can live for two months on a good compliment.— Mark Twain
This is the real power of praise. Praise can keep you motivated and growing. In thing blog I am going to discuss 10 things that happen when we praise someone.
But this is not always true. Sometimes praises might ruin us. Unnecessary praises stops the growth of an individual.
The with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.— Norman Vincent Peale
A praise is good if taken in a healthy way. A praise should not flatter us.
Blessed is he who has learned to admire but not envy, to follow but not imitate, to praise but not flatter, and to lead but not manipulate.— William Arthur Ward
Here are 10 things that happens when you praise someone or someone praises you:
1. Appreciation and Gratefulness Enhances Positivity: A research was conducted on gratitude by two psychologists, Dr. Robert A. Emmons of the University of California, Davis, and Dr. Michael E. McCullough of the University of Miami. It was found that the people who showed gratitude towards others had positive approach towards life. Praise creates positivity.
2. Praise Boosts Motor Memory System: In a study, it was found that when we praise someone, there is a boost in the motor skill memory of the person we praised. This study concluded that when someone is praised for any act done, there is enhancement in the functionality of human motor memory system that further leads to improved motor skills.
In simple words it can be said that when we are complimented for our work, our work ability enhances. It enhances the long term memory. We feel more positive and more confident about our job. We feel boosted and rewarded.
3. Praise Feels Us Rewarded: Praise is considered as a reward system and the person feels rewarded for his/her act. When we are praised for something we feel that we have received a special gift that we can’t see or touch but can feel.
4. Praise Enhances Mood: When we work in a place where people are appreciated for our efforts and work, we feel motivated. Our brain works better where we feel good and complimented. Studies have shown that praising leads to trigger the reward system of our brain that activates the dopamine levels in our body. Similar action occurs when we eat a sweet. Dopamine is a feel good hormone that enhances our mood.
5. Compliments Improve Relationships: Studies suggest that praises and compliments improve relationships. Few words of compliments shared between a couple keeps the love intact. Couples that compliment each other on beauty, achievements and even little things value each other and keep each other motivated.
6. Praise Lowers Stress: Praise is an psychological stress reliever. When we hear “Well done” or “Great job” all the stress we have is gone in seconds. Praises lower the levels of stress hormones.
7. Praise Makes Us Healthy: By lowering the stress level, enhancing our mood and making our thoughts optimistic praises make us a healthy human being. A little words of praises does miracle to our body. Compliments act as power booster.
8. Praise Enhances Productivity: A child who is praised by parents for his/her good work in school and at home is in a way encouraged to do better thereby improving his/her scores and other activities. This doesn’t mean we should praise kids for things that can be done easily. They should be praised to motivate them and keep their spirits high.
Praise should never be followed by criticism otherwise the effects get nullified. Praise should not be flattery. Praise should not fill us with overconfidence. Praise should be pure, true and selfless.
So what are you thinking about? Every time you get a chance to praise someone, don’t hesitate, praise wholeheartedly. You never know, your praise can make someone’s day better.
Thank you for stopping by and reading 🙏🙏.